Welcome

What oft was thought is a personal chronicle of events and information from the Thirty-Second Annual Kellogg Institute for Developmental Education at Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, Summer 2011. ~ Written by Caroline Seefchak, Ph.D., Edison State College, Fort Myers, Florida.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ASU Health Services

This week at Kellogg is Seminar III, which has three individual sections.  It started with Dr. Sanford Danziger, on being positive; moved on to Dr. Hunter Boylan, on program evaluations; and will end, on Friday, with Dr. Franklin Thomas, on multicultural awareness.  Monday was a full day of class that concluded with the neuroscience share that I facilitated until almost 9:00 p.m.

Burning the candle at both ends is de rigueur for me and for most of the personalities at Kellogg this year.   I’ve noticed that we’ve been running on a delightful adrenalin that is a natural byproduct of being here, completely absorbed in that which we have strong passion.  Adrenalin can last only so long, and several participants were missing on Monday morning, quite sick and in bed.  Arghh – can you imagine?  Not me, I said.  Ha.  

Last night I made it through my own neuroscience presentation, answered a lot of questions, smiled, acted like a person who felt fine – and I really did not feel well at all.  By the time I returned to my room, I was feverish and my throat felt like the cavalry had marched through it.  I checked University Health Services, online, and there is a clinic right here on campus. Class was at 9:00 this morning, and the clinic opened at 8:00.  I was there at 8:05.

I have been extremely impressed with just about everything done here at both Kellogg and at Appalachian State University, in general.  This morning was no exception.  Student Health Services was the nicest, brightest, friendliest, most well-run clinic of any kind that I have ever seen.  I was seen immediately.  The person at the front desk, who asked what was wrong, said, “oh, bless your heart, we’re gonna get you fixed up,” and then swiped my student ID into her computer.  Up came a PDF of the complete medical record form that I had to fill out and submit to Kellogg sometime last spring.  Amazing.  I was seen by a nurse, who took vitals and asked questions, and then I was given a choice of seeing a doctor or a nurse practitioner.  Feeling achy and thoroughly physically challenged, and simultaneously being anxious as all get out about getting to my Kellogg seminar on time , I opted for “first available,” and was seen by a nurse practitioner who was completely thorough and so kind.

I was diagnosed with a raging sinus infection that has made it to my throat.  I was given antibiotics and ibuprofen, and I was asked if I wanted throat lozenges or cough syrup.  I left with a bag of remedies – all at no charge.  No charge for the visit, no charge for the prescription drugs, no charge for drug store drugs and things.  It is all covered by Kellogg.  Quite nice, huh?  Oh, and check out the prescription bottle:  Yosef the ubiquitous Mountaineer has made yet another appearance, this time in profile, on the label.

I made it through class today, pretending to feel well when I really, really didn’t.  Class was great.  Hunter is a thoroughly engaging speaker.  I took a lot of notes, all of which I will share in due time.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about all the presentations. I am especially curious about the multicultural presentation content.

    Hope you get to rest and recover. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Drew! I have so much cool stuff to share. (Cool stuff - an intellectual term I learned here!)

    ReplyDelete