Welcome

What oft was thought is a personal chronicle of events and information from the Thirty-Second Annual Kellogg Institute for Developmental Education at Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina, Summer 2011. ~ Written by Caroline Seefchak, Ph.D., Edison State College, Fort Myers, Florida.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Re-entry

Dr. Hunter Boylan's final lecture to us covered many post-Kellogg tips, but the concept of re-entry -- re-entry into life-after-Kellogg --  is something that could not be overly emphasized.

For an entire month, we lived and breathed the Kellogg Institute. As a cohort, we lived together and learned together. We ate together, exercised together, and explored the beautiful area together.  It was a tremendously passionate and intelligent group; we grew together as professionals, and many of us grew close as friends.

And now it is over.  No longer are we blissfully immersed in learning, and no longer are we surrounded by people who completely share our passions for higher education.  It is re-entry, and it is not easy.

As much as I have learned, and in all that I have grown, I find that I am now just feeling at loose ends.  It is an adjustment to be back to that which is "normal."  It is hard to go from the high of such an outstanding experience, back down to everyday life.

Though I took a lot with me when I left there, a small part of my heart will always remain in Boone.

No comments:

Post a Comment